This is a photogaphic blog with a particular focus on walking the Spanish Caminos. Also included are walks in The New Forest, Wales and Southern England.




Zafra to Almendralejo, 21st October


5 km from Zafra we enter Los Santos de Maimona as the sun rises



On the way to Villafranca de los Barros


Near Villafranca


The view behind



The view ahead



The view to the left


Today was a bit of a marathon, nearly 40k in intense heat. Left Zafra at 7.15 and passed through Villafranca late morning. I could have stayed here at the 20k mark but there are better places to have a free afternoon so I carried on to Almendralejo which will allow me sometime in the historic city of Merida tomorrow and I might spend Saturday there as a rest day.

The wine harvest has finished and there are plenty of bunches of ripe black grapes to be had along the path. The olive harvest is taking place now and their are dozens of people out in the fields raking them out of the trees making for good photos.

I´m staying tonight in Pension Rosa near the Camino´s entrance to the city which will allow me a quick exit in the morning as I need to backtrack 3k to get back on the Camino.

Our current ´band of pilgrims´ may be splitting up now as we are starting to travel at different speeds but there are many more ahead and behind for interesting conversations and moral support.

All the best,

Andrew, 7.21pm Thursday.

4 comments:

PD said...

Keep the blogs coming Andrew. Great to hear how it is all going. We're off to Cornwall for the week - I suspect that it may be a little colder there than Spain!!
Best wishes,
Paul

Unknown said...

Enjoy your day of rest Andrew. I hope the Sun keeps shining on you.
I am at home WORKING and waiting for pest control to come and (hopefully) get rid of the wasp nest in the roof so the builders can finish installing the new flue. Joy unconfined!!
I wish I was with you in the Sun!!! Much love from dreary Wiltshire x

Unknown said...

I wonder what tales you tell as you walk along..

"Now hear me," said the pondmaker, "all and some!
But first I make a protestation round
That I'm quite drunk, I know it by my sound:
And therefore, if I slander or mis-say,
Blame it on ale of Whaddon, so I pray;
For I will tell a legend and a life
Both of a pondmaker and of his wife..

Have fun

Unknown said...

Wow dad!
I didn't know you were such a poet. I am impressed and I'm sure Andrew will be too. Perhaps he will translate it into Spanish.