This is a photogaphic blog with a particular focus on walking the Spanish Caminos. Also included are walks in The New Forest, Wales and Southern England.




Leaving Sevilla, 15th October


9 am and I'm on my way. Nth. side Isabel II bridge.


The first flecha amarillo, sth. side of Isabel II bridge. These yellow arrows and other navigation aids enable walkers to walk the 1000km to Santiago without maps etc. However, they can be a little inconsistent, and it's important to have some sort of
written guide in addition.






A Praying Mantis on the street in Santiponce



Cotton growing in fields near Guillena


I grabbed a quick breakfast at about 8.30 and started walking from the Cathedral at 9 ish. Had a great view of Sevilla from the Isabelle bridge over the Rio Guadalquivir and found my first yellow navigation arrow (flecha amarillo) on the other side. The arrows are small but plentiful and navigating out of the city was easy. As soon as I thought of the word flecha amarillo the song 'is this the way to amarillo` came in to my head and I've been humming it all day. It sets a good walking pace! Good job I'm alone.

The plant life is completely different to that in England and even before Santiponce I had seen agave, squirting cucumber, bitter orange, olive trees, palms, jasmin (in flower) and fennel (great to nibble). I've seen none of the larger birds of prey yet but I'm sure it won't be long, together with the birds migrating to Africa.

The heat here is surprising, somewhere in the high 20's Celsius. Fortunately there are abundant cafes for iced Coca Cola, chocolate milk and various other health drinks.

I'm currently in a small town called Guillena which is 23k from Sevilla. I'm in the library using their free internet and will endeavour to post some photos when I work out how (not easy when your Spanish is not that good). If all else fails I'll blog from my phone.

I've not decided which town to walk to tomorrow. I've a choice of a very long walk or a short one. Hmm.......

Oh, by the way, I'm in the Hostal Frances which is perfectly OK. It has air-con, en suite, TV and a view of the street, all for 21 euros.

Andrew. 5.23PM

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Andrew, I hope your feet aren't getting sore yet. I can imagine you humming along to "is this the way to Amarillo" for about 4 hours non-stop... !Perhaps you can introduce the local wildlife to a bit of Pink Ployd. All is well here. I had lunch with Annie and she says hello. Salisbury was busy and it was 5.5 deg C on my car thermometer this morning. Bloody freezings! Keep in touch YBT. Love Rachel x x